Benefits for Professionals
- International recognition of acquired competencies and skills
- Authorized to use the “Certified Tester” logo (specifying the level of certification)
- The whole of career path support, from Foundation to Expert level
Benefits for Companies
- ISTQB® certification can provide a competitive advantage for companies, promising a higher level of reliability of the applications being developed due to efficient and cost-effective testing practices derived from the ISTQB® competencies
- Consulting companies with certified staff can offer higher-level services to customers, increasing revenues and brand value
- ISTQB® has defined a “Partner Program” for companies that engage a large number of certified testers
Benefits for Accredited Training Providers
- Educational institutions and consulting companies may become an ISTQB® Accredited Trainer Provider according to processes and rules defined at the international level
- Accredited Training Providers ensure a high standing of training is delivered through having:
- certified trainers
- the content, quality and syllabus coverage of training materials checked by ISTQB® Boards
- advance notice of changes to the ISTQB® Glossary and syllabi
- Accredited Training Providers are entitled to use relevant logos and are listed in the ISTQB®Website
In this section, you can learn everything about ISTQB® Certification.
The product portfolio architecture has been evolved on the basis of several market studies as well as the outcomes of the ISTQB® Effectiveness Survey.
Its main goals are to:
- Maintain the mission and vision of ISTQB® and keep the high quality of deliverables that has marked the success of the scheme world-wide
- Maintain the focus on software testing
- Maintain the validity of certifications already obtained
- Extend the coverage of ISTQB® certifications to additional specific topics
- Make the scheme more modular
- Make it easier for professionals to obtain the specific certifications they are interested in
- Provide an overall framework in which existing, as well as future modules, will fit in a coherent way
The Architecture of the new ISTQB® Product Portfolio
The new ISTQB® product portfolio follows a Matrix approach characterized by
- Levels, that identify progressively increasing LOs
- Streams, that identify clusters of certification modules:
Core, Agile and Specialist Streams
ISTQB®streams focus on:
- Core – these modules correspond to the “historical” ISTQB® certifications and so they:
- Cover software testing topic in a breadth-first, broad, horizontal way,
- Are valid for any technology/ methodology/ application domain
- Allow for a common understanding
- Agile – these modules address testing practices specifically for the Agile SDLCISTQB® recognizes the importance of Agile practices that have become a de facto standard in many contexts; taking also into account the outstanding success of the Agile Tester Foundation certification module, ISTQB® has decided to single out an ad-hoc separate Stream, on which significant investments have been planned in order to complement the existing module with new Advanced modules, covering both organizational and technical specificities of testing in Agile contexts
- Specialist – these modules are new in the ISTQB® product portfolio and address specific topics in a vertical way, meaning that:
- They are built using a drill-down / deep-dive approach
- They can address specific quality characteristics (e.g.: Usability; Security; Performance; etc.)
- They can address technologies that involve specific test approaches (e.g.: model-based testing; mobile testing; etc.)
- They can also be related to specific test activities (e.g.: test automation; test metrics management; etc.)
- They can also cluster testing know-how for application domains that deserve or require a specific approach (e.g.: automotive; pharma & medical devices; gambling; etc.)
- Specialist modules are potentially numberless; ISTQB® has defined an initial set of Specialist modules on the basis of the outcomes of its surveys; additional Specialist modules will be defined in future on the basis of market needs, emerging technologies and new paradigms in software development
In any stream, there may be modules that heavily rely on the content of the Core Foundation.
Features of the scheme include:
- High-quality syllabi: all syllabi are developed and reviewed by leading testing professionals from academia and industry.
- Global recognition: certifications are recognized globally because of the consistent application of ISTQB® policies and procedures by the member boards.
- Common language: the ISTQB® Glossary provides a common vocabulary for the profession.
- Objectivity: the assessment of tester capabilities is conducted independently by ISTQB®and provides objective verification of competencies.
- Adherence to a Code of Ethics: all ISTQB® certified testers adhere to the Code of Ethics defined by ISTQB®
- Public Availability: ISTQB® glossary and syllabi is made freely available on the ISTQB® website and on the Member Board websites in local languages.
- Openness: ISTQB® materials are developed on a voluntary basis and are open to contributions from anybody interested in joining NGSTQB® working groups.
- Independence: the non-profit nature of ISTQB® ensures that content is not constrained by particular methodologies or technologies, and is able to draw on best practices from a wide variety of sources.
- Continuous improvement: syllabi and other documents are continuously being improved to meet the needs of Business Organizations around the world and to keep pace with the development of the profession.
- Professional standing: being certified provides advantages for individuals and organizations by ensuring that testing professionals meet the high standards set by the ISTQB®
ISTQB® Certified Tester is the most widespread qualifications scheme in the world, and the syllabi contents and glossary have become the de facto industry reference for the software testing profession.